Digital conference: Consumers and businesses in digital markets - An unequal relationship?
You are invited to a webinar on October 15, (13.00-17.00 CET) arranged by the Swedish Consumer Agency, its Scientific Council, in partnership with Maastricht University.
The evolution of digital markets has changed the market conditions for consumers. Developments in digital platform markets, data driven marketing and digital design have created infinite opportunities for both consumers and businesses. However, consumers are faced with new challenges and are at greater risk of being influenced or even manipulated into actions and choices they would not have made otherwise. These challenges have led to a change in the relationship between consumers and businesses, in many cases to the disadvantage of the consumer.
During this webinar, consumer and business organisations, academic researchers and policy makers will discuss how digital markets and data driven marketing challenges consumer behaviour and how a more equal and balanced consumer-business relationship can be achieved.
The speakers and participants include the following:
- Dr. Harry Brignull, User Experience Specialist and founder of darkpatterns.org.
- Hans Micklitz, Professor of Economic Law, Helsinki University
- Natali Helberger, Professor of Information Law, University of Amsterdam
- Anna Barker, Competition Expert, OECD
- Andreas Maaloe Jespersen, Specialist, Danish Competition and Consumer Authority
- Arunesh Mathur, Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Princeton University
- Carolina Brånby, Director Digital Policy, Confederation of Swedish Enterprise
- Werner Stengg, Cabinet Expert for Digital Policy, European Commission
- Antonina Bakardjieva Engelbrekt, Professor of European Law, Stockholm University
- Poja Shams, Associate professor, Karlstad University Service Research Center
- Sofia Stigmar, Lawyer, Swedish Trade Federation
- Sinan Akdag, Digital expert, The Swedish Consumers' Association
Please note, last day of registration is the 12th of October 2020.
About The Swedish Consumer Agency and the seminar
The Swedish Consumer Agency, is an authority under the Ministry of Finance.
The Swedish Consumer Agency has a Scientific Council with representatives from 9 different academic fields for example economics, marketing, law, IT, media and communication, risk management and sustainability. Every year the Swedish Consumer Agency and the Scientific Council host a seminar on important and relevant topics concerning consumers and consumer markets.
The purpose in short is to share knowledge about challenges and risks relating to consumer markets and to discuss how to improve market behavior and consumer protection.
More than 100 representatives from for example authorities, consumer organisations, the business sector, universities etc participate in the seminars.
This year the seminar will be held as an international webinar due to Covid19. The webinar is free of charge.