About the Swedish Consumer Agency
Om Konsumentverket - English
The government and the parliament determine consumer policy objectives and the direction of work for the Swedish Consumer Agency.
The Swedish Consumer Agency is headed by a Director General who is also the Consumer Ombudsman (Konsumentombudsman, KO). KO can represent consumer interests in relations with businesses and pursue legal action in court.
Our responsibilities include
- to ensure companies abide by appropriate laws
- to receive complaints from consumers
- to work towards implementing branch agreements
- to ensure the safety of products and services
- to assist consumers in planning their personal finances
- to educate and provide support to the Consumer advisors and Budget and debt advisors in the municipalities
- to provide young consumers with appropriate tools and information and to become informed consumers
- to provide consumers independent guidance through Hallå konsument
- to provide consumers independent guidance when purchasing goods and services from countries within the EU
- to watch over market developments and identify consumer problems in different markets
Independent guidance through Hallå konsument
Hallå konsument is a national information service coordinated by the Swedish Consumer Agency. You can contact us with questions about buying goods and services, contract terms and conditions, filing a complaint, purchasing with environmental considerations and other things you as a consumer need help with.
The web site hallakonsument.se provides useful information and handy step-by-step guides. You can reach us by phone, e-mail and live chat. We will answer your question directly or refer you to experts within other government agencies, the various consumer bureaus, or the municipal consumer guidance organisations.
ECC Sweden (Konsument Europa) for purchasing goods and services cross-borders within the EU
ECC Sweden is a unit within the Swedish Consumer Agency and a part of the European Consumer Centres Network. ECC Sweden provides consumers with information and advice when purchasing goods and services from other countries within the EU, Norway and Iceland.
Education and support to the municipal consumer guidance organisations
Most municipalities within Sweden offer consumer information and guidance to their residents. You can also receive assistance with planning your personal finances. The Swedish Consumer Agency provides education to the municipalities' Consumer advisors and Budget and debt advisors.